Word of Mouth (WOM) Research Group
Welcome to the webpage of the Kingston Business School Word of Mouth Research Group.
The WOM Research Group draws together academics with interest and expertise in the field of word of mouth communication. We focus on this emergent area of marketing, drawing on the international reputations of its members. Our research findings are disseminated through top international journals, and international and national conferences. We aim to provide an accessible point of contact for external audiences, focusing on consumers’ purchase intentions and their loyalty to the firm in a range of product sectors. Members of the group work closely with marketing practitioners and are involved in research that has direct practical applications in the commercial world.
- Encourage collaboration with fellow researchers in other institutions
- Engage with practitioners
- Consolidate Kingston’s reputation for WOM research
Recent and ongoing research projects of the group include:
- Relative impact of positive and negative WOM
- The consequences of WOM on the sender
- Understanding the motivators of and inhibitors to online review production
- Uhe role of WOM in encouraging brand uptake
- WOM and the older consumer
- Analysis of use of online WOM pre- and post-purchase
- Evaluating the differences between perceived valence of WOM from sender and receiver perspectives
- Referral success and failure under PWOM and NWOM conditions