Dr Deborah Brewis
BA, MPhil, Ph.D
Lecturer in Organisational Behaviour
- 020 8417 5106 Ext: 5106
Lecturer across topics in organisation, management, and human resource management.
Researcher of organisation with a focus in critical diversity studies and digital labour. Theoretical interests in (in)equalities, ethics, and management of the self.
Associate Fellow of the Insitute of Advanced Studies, University of Warwick
Past and ongoing research explores the role of the diversity practitioner within UK organisation, looking in particular at the relations of knowledge and power involved in the construction of their subjectivity as expert in diversity and in their work to transform other organisational actors through training. Developing empirical research project in the area of digital labour, in particular digital media work through exploring the emergent occupation of digital social influencers. This work is funded by Kingston University's First Grant Scheme.
Experience of conducting research for a policy environment; teaching on management and organisation; and a track record of fostering links among scholars, between scholars and artists, and engaging the public in academic research.
Ph.D Warwick Business School
MPhil, BA University of Birmingham
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Critical management studies
- Gender theory, queer theory
- Organisational culture and cultural representations of organisation
- Foucauldian theory and analysis
- Digital labour, digital being
- Qualitative methods, discourse analysis and ethnographic methods
- (In)equalities, esp. gender and sexual identity
- Diversity and Inclusion in organisations, esp. diversity practitioners
- Digital labour, esp. social influencers
- Modern subjectivities, esp. self-as-brand, authenticity, management of the self
- Michel Foucault, esp. practices of the self and ethics
- Organizational Behaviour
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Social Media Editor for Management Learning - The Journal for critical, reflexive scholarship on organization and learning (As part of this role I developed the video series 'Management Learning Meets...')
- Member of VIDA, Critical Management Studies women's network and organiser of the VIDA Writing Project
- Reviewer for Management Learning
- Reviewer for Qualitative Research in Organisations and Management
- Member of the British Sociological Association
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Eduation Academy
- Member of the Feminist and Women's Studies Association (FWSA)